Do you know someone who suffers with migraines?
Research has found one way to prevent migraines1. They studied vitamin B2, called riboflavin. Taking daily riboflavin for 3 months showed favorable results over the placebo group. They experienced fewer migraines that went away sooner. While 2 people had diarrhea, there were no serious side effects.
It’s amazing how simple treatments may have a big impact on health.
Vitamin B2 is found in many foods such as eggs, asparagus, and broccoli. In order to get a therapeutic dose you would need to supplement vitamin B2.
For long-term use, it’s best to use several B vitamins together instead of a single high-dose vitamin. This is because they all work together.
We can do a micronutrient blood test to measure our patient’s levels of vitamins and other nutrients. This helps to customize the treatment for better results. Patients appreciate not wasting money on ineffective supplement treatments.
I’m Dr. Tim Kuhlman, Naturopathic physician, at www.ChehalisNaturopathic.com. We’re now scheduling new patients with same week availability.
- Neurology. 1998 Feb; 50(2):466-70.
It’s that time of year again – the flu season hits the United States between October and April.
Cooler, drier air makes it easier for the flu virus to spread from person to person. Research suggests that the flu virus becomes tougher at colder temperatures, making it easier to transmit. So if you are wary of becoming sick in the winter, you may be correct that viruses are more active and resilient at this time.
Plus we tend to spend more time indoors. It’s also likely that when you stay inside in a room with the windows shut and people sniffling, that you are more likely to be exposed to germs. The central heating and dry air dries the nasal passages which increases the risk of infection. With the shorter sunlight hours, we make less vitamin D as well, a strong supporter of our immune system.
Make time to take care of yourself now:
- Optimize your vitamin D levels. Come in and get a simple blood test to measure your vitamin D. Take a high quality Vitamin D supplement from a naturopathic physician. The right type of vitamin D and the right dose matter.
- Avoid antibiotics. The flu is caused by a virus so antibiotics won’t be effective. Antibiotics only kill bacteria. Use natural plants and herbs to boost your immunity instead. Your immune system is your strongest ally.
- Probiotics, good bacteria, can be helpful and found in fermented foods such as sauerkraut, yogurt and pickled vegetables.
- Eat healthy foods to boost your immunity such as garlic, ginger, turmeric, green leafy vegetables and herbs such as rosemary, thyme and oregano. Add spices to warm up the body and get the circulation going. Fruits also contain antioxidants that will protect against infection.
- Reduce sugars and refined carbohydrates such as baked goods. Sugars drain your immunity and make you susceptible to infection. Increase healthy fats in your diet such as avocados, walnuts, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds, fish oils and coconut oil.
- Use stress management techniques such as deep breathing, meditation, yoga, tai chi, qi gong and mindfulness to prevent stress from depleting your immunity.
If you’d like to beat the flu, come in and see me. I’m Dr. Tim Kuhlman, Naturopathic Physician, at www.chehalisnaturopathic.com. We are accepting new patients by appointment at phone 360-996-4761.
As a naturopathic doctor, my patients ask me where I get my own organic seafood.
My wife and I love Vital Choice, right here in Washington State. Organic foods are getting easier to find but not for high quality wild caught seafood shipped to consumer.
Freshness matters for best nutrients and taste. I’m talking about wild caught fish such as salmon, tuna, and halibut.
The best tasting fish I’ve ever had is their Sablefish. Fish has never been among my favorite tasting foods but I can eat their salmon and sablefish every week.
Eating fish in your weekly meals helps you get those healthy fish oils (omega 3 essential fatty acids) that reduce inflammation from aches and pains.
And they’re not only a seafood source. Vital Choice has the most delicious Organic Nuts I’ve ever eaten.
I’m Dr. Tim Kuhlman. We’re now accepting new patients at www.chehalisnaturopathic.com.
Check out Vital Choice: http://www.vitalchoice.com/shop/pc/home.asp?idaffiliate=3912